Monday, October 3, 2011

The importance of (literal) balance

I have experienced time and time again that my life is reflected in my yoga practice.  When I am overworked, frazzled, sick, crabby, hyper, or tired, my balance poses magnify my state.  Sometime, it is of no surprise.  Other times, I have to sit back and ask myself "what?... WHAT?!?".  


I have also seen how unrest and lack of (figurative) balance my children's lives, and the lives of the little one's that I teach is reflected in their personalities and interactions.   I can only conclude that if physical balance helps emotional balance in adults, the same must be true for children.


Research shows that balance exercises such as rocking, walking, swaying, leaning, tip toeing, and hopping on one foot, has many physical benefits for children.  When a child focuses on balance she engages the muscles on both sides of the body.  Accordingly, both sides of the brain are fired up.  Neurological pathways are strengthened.


In our Kindermusik classes, we reguarly engage in balance exercises often as we challenge and play with movement. We often talk about the many physical benefits.  But, never the emotional rewards of feeling physical balance.  Of course, this is because this is my idea, not one promoted by Kindermusik....yet (??).  Obviously, children need emotional balance too.  So, next time you cuddle and rock a child, ride a bike along side them, go for a walk or have a dance party consider the gift of balance you give to each other.


Imagine rocking a child in your arms.  As the child feels the gravity drop through her belly, there is a brief sense of free falling.  Control over the her body is given up for that moment as she falls through space.  At the bottom of the rock, she is still held securely in your arms, feeling your pulse and your breath, still "caught", only to be brought back up again.  A beautiful act of balance, love and trust.

Where is your favorite place to rock with your child?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment