Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Feasting on Gratitude



During mass on Sunday, someone spoke about St. Luke’s annual stewartship campaign.  The theme this year is “feasting on gratitude”.  I was immediately struck and captivated.  Not just by how it pertains to stewartship, but how it can be incorporated into our daily lives.

Brain washed as we are to constantly strive for more, these small words have big meaning.  When I think to trying to let go of achieving and live more in the moment, I struggle not to see it as settling.  I don’t mean a nice peaceful settling in but rather a settling for less.  More of a giving up hopes and dreams or of idleness (brain washed, see?).

Accepting to live with less is a lifelong struggle.  Maybe that is because we use the term "less" when we really mean cutting out material greed and static.  I like the concept we can experience the wonder and excitement that we crave in the blessing that we have already been given.  It doesn’t have to be about sacrifice at all but about gratitude and celebration.  In the end, we don't have less at all.  In fact, we can be very full indeed.


Yesterday, I feasted on gratitude (and field roast) over lunch.  I am so grateful that I can have this handsome, charming little boy as my lunch date every weekday.  He is not a very adventurous eater and sometimes I can't follow our conversations completely.  But, how can I feel anything but gratitude and abundance when I get to stare over the table at this?

"For your birthday, I am going to the store and me and Daddy are buying you a 
PRETTY, PINK, PRINCESS coat"

"Does it come with ruffles and sparkles?"


What are you feasting on today?

No comments:

Post a Comment