Friday, October 14, 2011

Having a baby is not like having an angry boss (part 2)


There are days I would love to wake up to a demanding boss instead of a child.  I would really be thrilled for an adult of any kind.    Why? 

  • Most adults don’t make up screaming, and if they do it is usually just until they get a caffeine fix.   
  • I can’t imagine that many employers make you late for a meeting because their bowels are calling just as you are headed out the door. 
  • I doubt they demand that you wipe their bottom either.  
  • I can’t imagine a boss asking “Can I help?” as much as my son does only to destroy what it is that I am doing.  No, a boss wants you to actually be productive.  
  • I have never had a boss say “I hate you” or “you smell”.  I have been fired, and I have been talked down to.  It is much more pleasant then being heckled by a 3 year old.
  •  I have never had a boss cry while wrapping themselves around my leg when I left the office.  Never did one put his finger in my face and order me “don’t go to yoga when I go into the other room”.   

The real problem is with that tired analogy is that when you work for a baby or child boss, you are constantly worried about their safety.  If an adult boss can’t be trusted in the bath alone for fear of drowning, they should not BE boss.  In addition, this idea implies that the parent has one boss and one job.  Some of my biggest struggles stem from the fact that I have many jobs and bosses/children.  Caring for a child and nothing else is tough.  Caring for a child, his/her siblings, pets, and spouse is another.  Add to that constant worry about your child’s safety and emotional health and things get really complicated.

So, if we parents are not employees, what are we?  Just for fun, I looked up Wikipedia’s definition of indentured servant.  No, that didn’t fit either.  Slave was closer, but still not quite right.  A drudge? Almost there, but it still was missing the emotional side.  I guess there is no point in trying to explain parenthood as anything other then what it is.  Whatever that is.  

No comments:

Post a Comment