Monday, September 26, 2011

Umm and Ouch!



With 5 soccer games in 2 days, the weekend flew by.  Or, maybe it blew by.  Yes, that is more accurate.  In fact on Sunday afternoon it blew right into my head.  It was in the form of our pop up shelter that uprooted directly into my forehead. While I ran bleeding to the bathroom, Amelia scored her only goal of the game.  Now I am left with a headache and suppressed knowledge that I should go get stitches (liquid band-aid don't fail me now).  If I ignore it it will go away, right?


The rest of the day was great!  I tried out a something borrowed, something new kind of recipe.  My family has come to expect weekend breakfasts to be a little more elaborate then those during the week.  Unfortunately, that usually means sweet bread, scones, potatoes or other less then fabulous food choices.  Coffee cake made with wheat flour may be more nutritionally sound, but it is still rolling in fat and sugar.  So, I dug into our edible centerpiece and tried this:

Apple and Pear Crepes

Filling:
2 Apples and 1 Pear cut into one inch pieces
1/4 C water
2t agave (or honey to taste)
1t cinnamon 
1t nutmeg
1T fresh lemon juice
1/4 C dried cranberries
1/4 C roasted walnuts

Toss fruit in lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg and agave.  In a sauce pan bring fruit mixture and water to a boil over medium heat and reduce to a simmer.  Cook until fruit softens.  Stir in Cranberries and walnuts.

For the crepes, I used a wheat recipe from here:  greenlitebites.com/2008/06/18/simple-low-fat-whole-grain-crpe/.  I substituted skim milk for rice milk to add a little sweetness.

How did it go over?  Yums and clean plates!  A healthy replacement for pancakes (which is good because, although I'm out numbered, I don't really like pancakes)

Do you make special breakfast on weekend mornings?  What is your families favorite breakfast?  

No comments:

Post a Comment