Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Crazy things my dogs have done



There is no denying that I have doggie fever.  Sorry, to say that will be reflected in my posts for a while.  Having a new dog is a lot more like having a new baby then most parents care to admit.  Don’t get me wrong, it is very different too.  It is 100x easier.  That said, it has similar challenges and brings up some of the same nostalgia.     The last few days have made me think a lot about all of the crazy dog adventures that I have had in the past 12 years.  Here are some of the highlights.

Areeba Beauty Vizsla

  • Somehow opened the refrigerator in search for a stick of butter.  Dined with said butter in comfort on the couch. 
  • In the course of one week ate all of my leather sandals.  But, devoured the right feet only leaving the left feet untouched. 
  • Desperate to free herself from the kennel unwound a chain link fence with nothing but her teeth.
  • Desperate to reunite with her pal Cali chewed through Cali’s plastic crate to free her
  • Opened kitchen cupboard to retrieve bag of flour.  Without spilling any flour on the way, brought the bag to the living room to feast.
  • Frantically jumped into a stream to save me after I had clumsily fallen in.
  • Won a face off with a Great Dane (who later marked my leg for revenge)
  • Lived to 18!

“Crazy” Cali

  • Had a false pregnancy the week we moved to Seattle. 
  • Smelling that she was approaching the dog park, jumped out of the window of a moving car while wearing a leash. 
  • Has spent many a sunny morning staring at the wall waiting for a bird to fly by and cast a shadow.
  • Long after being house trained, Cali wet the bed.  It was my sister’s bed.  She was in it too.Earned a battle scar from a scrap with a abandoned Alaskan dog we nicknamed “hobo”.

Thankfully, upon writing this, I am reminded of all of the ways that my dogs are different from my children.   The bed wetting scenario did occur with a child.  Only it was me, Amelia, and my sister-in-law's guest bed.  I'm just glad the jumping from a moving car scene hasn't repeated itself with a child...yet.

What is the craziest thing your pet has done?

3 comments:

  1. Emma
    -ate an entire bag of dog coated in Gain laundry detergent.
    -ate a bee who then stung her cheek which swelled up.
    -knew not to poop in her crate so backed into each corner to relieve herself through the bars.
    -kissed my nose and then Eli before she went to heaven.

    Joey Ramone
    -got his face stuck to a sticky bug trap and then the bug trap to the carpet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poppy once took a plate with food on it off of the living room table, ate the food, and put the plate back, not realizing he was being watched.
    Poor KJ tried to jump over a children gate once and got caught by....you guessed it. It was pretty painful for him to be dangling there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Beth I remember the story about Emma and the detergent - hillarious now but not at the time I'm sure. I'm sure Joey has many more stories to come. It will be hard to top the bug trap adventure.

    Dad - too bad you didn't get Poppy on video. Poor, poor KJ.

    ReplyDelete