Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Single Parenting Take 4


If Joey had red hair, this trio would be a perfect Match to my three.

Why is it that when my children are sick they still have abundant energy?  No lethargic, cuddlers taking long naps.  Nope, mine get really crabby (in fact mean) and are still bouncing off of the walls.  Why do I bring this up?  You guessed it, I have a sick child.  


My first clue that something was wrong happened this morning.  Just as finished step class, the kids club attendant came to get me. Since Liam is not in diapers and never gets lonely for me there, I knew that he was either a) sick or b) naughty.  To my delight, the answer was c) both a and b.  Apparently, my Liam had a massive and violent temper tantrum that included him kicking the attendant and calling her "stupid" (I'm so proud).  When I came to collect him, he was hiding in shame.  He also had a slight fever.  The very kind caregivers were understanding as he has never done anything like this before. I made sure to blame big brother and sister for the introduction of the word "stupid" to his vocabulary (when they say it I blame the Junie B Jones books they read in Kindergarten). I had to carry him out screaming, flailing, and kicking.  If I would have known that this was how my gym experience would end, I would have chosen lighter weights during class.


So, a slightly runny nose and a slightly feverish boy meant a complete rearrangement of my schedule.  No preschool for Liam tomorrow.  Which leads to no childcare, which leads t no Pre-K Kindermusik class for St. Luke's tomorrow.  No husband to hand off to so...no family outing for Amelia's end of the season soccer party.  Many thanks to the lovely and understanding Mrs. M for bringing her and, hopefully, bringing her back.  They are still out partying.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that Liam is sick. You're right, it does seem to send them in one direction or the other - very lethargic or just plain ornery. Sometimes there are two stages: when Maya was really sick she would be very docile, when she started getting grumpy, we knew her health was returning.
    By the way, I love the Dennis the Menace cartoon, though I don't know how Jack would take to it.

    ReplyDelete