Sunday, November 6, 2011

Five Little Vizslas



This week I find myself single parenting.  John left at 6AM to go underway with a sub and the children and I to carry on as usual.  The extra hour of sleep left everyone but me extra spunky.  After a chaotic and painful trip to the food co-op, I could see the energy oozing from my children’s pores.  I am not sure what was louder on the car ride home, the lively sounds from the backseat or the screaming in my head.  No, it was probably the real screaming that I delivered back to my noise-makers.

The next stop was to run the energy out of our dogs at China Lake.  Which brought on a chorus of moaning and back talk.  Really, not much would have been different if John were home.  I would have had someone to complain to at the end of the morning.  Instead, I complained to myself.   Which, only made me feel more crazy and out of control. 

I knew that the outdoors would make everyone feel better.  I was right.  My five little vizslas flew out of the gate (or mini-van) and didn’t stop.  Pure, raw energy released.  After 45 minutes, the clock was ticking to get home before the howls of hunger set in.  Just as no one wanted to come in the first place, now no one wanted to leave (please say this is not just my children that do this).  Home for lunch and an afternoon nap for Liam, everyone was happy.
 Zonked Out Doggies by the Fire
The afternoon was left for games, cleaning, crafting and sprucing up our family center.  Liam screamed for most of the day.  I think it is just habit now.  No middle ground, only “I love you” or “ I hate you” with a ratio of about 1 to 20.  Now we are off for build your own sandwiches followed by “Meerkat Manor” (my children’s newest favorite).  Followed by the sweet silence and the peace of knowing that everyone is safely sleeping in our warm, cozy house.  Tomorrow is another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment