Monday, November 7, 2011

Single Parenting Take 2




The happy times of yesterday continued into the day.  In this chilly weather, I spent as much time as possible next to the fire with a book and someone to snuggle.  I feel a little guilty that while we are toasty and warm in our cozy home, John is freezing cold and sleeping elbow to elbow with loudly snoring sailors.  But, he probably hasn’t been pelted by “I hate you” for the better part of the afternoon.

In preparation for the battle of wills with my three year old, I spent the morning in heavy bag boxing.  If I haven’t said it enough before, I LOVE BOXING.  Maybe, it’s the little person complex in me trying to feel badass.  Maybe, it is the pent up energy from all of the times I have had to bite my tongue with my fiery three year old.  Maybe, it is just a super fun, sweaty workout.  Whatever it is, it left me ready to conquer the world.  Or, if not the world, sneaker shopping and another trip to China Lake with Liam and the dogs.  My advice to all mothers of young children:  You must try boxing!!!!!  It is an amazing stress relief. 

The heavens smiled down on me and moved Jack’s soccer coach to cancel practice at the last minute.  An afternoon with nothing planned!  No carpool, no errands, no meetings, nothing.  So, back to the fire it was for homework and warm milk.  The kids were thrilled that I had baked English Muffins and served them breakfast for dinner.  I was happy to slack on meals with no other adult to cook for.  That is one of my favorite parts of single parenting, lazy meals and no complaints.  It almost makes me want to convert to boring meals all together.  But , not quite.

Well, I just got a hair stroke and a gentle “ I love you, you’re a good mom” from my angry dictator…..

Day 2 gets 4 stars!

What is your favorite stress relief?

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you boxed. I'm hoping it is just with a punching bag. (It is a great way to get energy or frustrations out, though.)

    ReplyDelete