Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Free Blueberries!


Yesterday the kids and I ended our week long quarantine with a trip to ......................
 Charlotte's Blue Berry Park 
I am ashamed to say that after living in Tacoma for 5 years, this is our first visit to this beautiful 20 acre park in East Tacoma.  Located at 7402 East D St., Charlotte's Park offers FREE U-Pick blueberries.  With five varieties of blueberries, picking season runs from June to October.  Luckily, I was tipped by local berry scopers (my Mom and Stepdad) that the bushes were loaded and ready harvest.  I was also lucky enough to have them take me there, so I couldn't exactly tell you where it is outside of the above address.  So, if you venture out (and you should!), visit the Tacoma Parks Website here:  www.metroparkstacoma.org/page.php?id=649 for directions.



My Strawberry Ready to Pick Blueberries

If you haven't been to Blueberry Park yet as a family outing, this is a great week to give it a try.  The bushes along the outer edges have mostly green berries.  As you get just a little deeper into the park, especially along the backsides of the bushes, there are many more "blue" berries.

One of over 3300 blueberry bushes

Things to know for a successful picking experience:

As with all berry picking, sunscreen is a must. 
There is no restroom, only a "stinky potty" (as my kids call it) on site.
There are some thorny blackberries growing in some of the bushes.  Pants are a good idea.
The bushes can be a bit of a maze, come with a plan to keep kids close (my plan: 3 adults for my 3 kids)


A Beautiful Summer's Day 

I hope you can make a trip there this week, it is worth the short drive!  You can expect a blueberry recipe to dress these pages soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment