Thursday, August 25, 2011

Closet Conversions

You may have noticed a theme in my last postings.  Schedules, school, and organization have captured my thoughts.  Accordingly, I am moving my preoccupations from the cerebral to the physical world.  I am armoring up for the school year and next Kindermusik session by organizing my physical space.  

With three kids in school this year, the paper work alone is dumbfounding.  Icalander can only help me so much when I have lost a permission slip, project directions or phone directory.  This has sparked my first conversion:  Hallway built-in to family central.  I spent yesterday morning rehoming tea supplies and wine glasses.  You may wonder: "what were your children doing?".  They were helping.  I must really be loosening up if I am allowing my 3 year old to help me move stemware.  Can you believe that we made it through with only one broken teapot?  Today, I can repurpose the closet.  Here is what I need this closet to do for me:

Charge phones, ipods and small electronics 
House mail that needs attention
Hold and sort each child's school and art work for the week 
Post important memos and reminders
Post weekly meal calendar
Post a weekly family activity schedule
Save my sanity


Before I start rearranging, I need some inspiration.  One of my favorite place to turn for home ideas is Sunset.com.  No Surprise, there I found a whole gallery of "creative offices".  Many of these ideas will be filled away from my next project:  closet to office conversion.  A lot of the inspirational photos are useful even for my small space.

Here are some ideas that am filing away:


Closet becomes office
(sunset)

Here are some others from various sources:

 
(decorator on a dime)

(sf gate)

So, off to work I go.  My own pictures are coming soon.

Do you have a place in your house set aside for family organization?  Have you ever converted a closet?





  


2 comments:

  1. Got inspired with the top Sunset closet pic last year. But when the only closet available for this was in my bedroom I just couldn't face the office in the bedroom idea. So instead the whole world gets to see my lack of organization in the middle of my living room! I do really love that top closet idea though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate - office in the bedroom would be a drag. How did you organize your living room? Do you have an area dedicated? I love the top one too - but can't imagine dedicating an entire shelf for the decorative. I am converting our den closet next. I'll share you what I come up with.

    ReplyDelete