Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Quick, Healthy, Travel Snacks

On an Airplane, food is entertainment.  In our normal lives, this would be something we try to avoid or deny.  Travel allows us to break that rule.  Long plane rides let us break lot's of rules.  We do things we never would in our home towns.  We can read trashy magazines, pay $8 for a cup of fruit,  fall asleep in a room full of strangers, and offer are children food to occupy their hands and mouths.  That is why packing the right snacks is essential.   

                                      My wish is for lot's of this, and not much need for snacks

When I pack snacks for a plane ride I like to follow a few rules:


  • Nothing that will break, smush, crumble, or otherwise be destroyed in transit.
  • No snacks that are too similiar to snacks that we might be served on the plane.
  • No food that could cause the need for a wardrobe change.
  • Fresh fruit or veggies must be included.
  • It should be (fairly) compact.
  • Small children should be able to eat it independently.


That eliminates things that I would bring on a road trip like: trail mix (you know we will be offered nuts at some point), bananas (dangerously smushy), yogurt and apple sauce. 


So, based on that list, I am packing the flowing for each carry on:

Water bottles (empty)
1 bag raw veggie bag
grapes (in a hard container)
Cheese and crackers (packed separately so that they stay fresh)
Fruit leather
prepackaged granola bars

I will also pack an emergency candy bag in my carry on.  I plan on using it for bribery - something else I try to reserve only for the plane.





                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment