Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Best Advice, The Worst Advice

Parenting is complicated.  Figuring out what works best for your children and family is a very individual and personal thing.  In the past 9 years I have been given and been asked to give a lot of parenting advice.  Some advice was great and I use it to this day.  Other advice made me cringe as I knew I couldn't follow it.  Some, while great advice for other mothers, didn't feel right to me.  Here are my top 5's.

Worst Advice:


1.  Soothe a baby by dipping their pacifier in sugar 
     such and obvious no
2.  Drive your baby until they fall asleep
     Sleep deprivation and driving are not a good partnership
3.  Create an elaborate night time ritual to ease your child to sleep
     Now I have to give a bath, read books, and sing songs EVERY TIME I want my child to sleep!
4.  Have boys pee on a Cheerio to help potty training 
     This works for a lot of people.  Putting food in the toilet and telling your child to pee on it grosses   me out.
5.  Let the child decide when they are ready to go to sleep
     My children have decided that they are never ready


Best Advice


1.  Make good use of the Logical Consequence
2.  Take care of yourself
      If mother is unhappy, children are unhappy (Thank you Maura!)
3.  When you feel an adult tantrum coming on, give YOURSELF a time out.
4.  Swaddle!!!
5.  Graciously accept help.     
     It took me 3 children to finally do this without feeling like a failure.  I wish I hadn't waited.


What are the best and worst pieces of parenting advice you have received?

No comments:

Post a Comment