Monday, June 4, 2012

A Short Post on The Longest Pose


I am winding down a yoga practice in where I have been holding my longest pose ever. Almost two weeks ago I started feeling a tightness in my neck and shoulder.  Almost like a muscle pull, but not quite.  

Breathe flows in, breathe flows out this too shall pass.  

It did, but only because I slept through the pain.  The next morning brought stiffness, and intensity.  

Breath quickness, I stop and slow it down.  This too shall pass.  

But, it didn't.  Imagine being stuck in the extension of a shoulder press or in a clumsy Pincha Mayurasana...for ten days.  It starts off manageable, but quickly feels like torture.  There have been times where I have breathed through the pain or focused on a conversation and momentarily come out of the intensity.  There have been times when I have gotten angry or sad.  And, I have often felt sorry for myself.  In the loneliest, quietest hours of night I have been present to surrender and grace, but more often pain and anguish.  The longest pose, the longest practice - EVER.


On Thursday my x-ray confirmed that I have a bulging/slipped/herniated disc in my lower neck (C5/C6).  Boo.  To make things worse it showed that all of my discs look older then they should, so are at risk for more injury.  Double boo.  The pain is largely a result sandwiched nerves.  I am starting to see some relief, but still have limited use of my right arm and hand, and have bicep weakness.  My next practice will be recovery.    As typing is still pretty uncomfortable, I will close at that.  All the while breath still flows in and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment