Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Veganized


                                         


In January I took the plunge and dove, head over heals into veganism.  I began by only committed myself to a month of plant based eating.  But, I knew that I was sold for a lifetime.  I was right, I have gone vegan and I am not looking back.  It was something that I have wanted to do for years, but didn’t out of fear: 

Fear that I would feel an outsider socially
Fear of being nutrient deficient
Fear of never eating cheese again

Now, I am still a rookie at this, but my fear has been melting away.  For all of you who think that eliminating animal products is an odd thing to do, I assure you, I was weird long before becoming vegan.  Furthermore, vegan or not, you probably have a pinch of freak too.  We all do

I have toyed with the idea of going animal free since I became vegetarian at 14.  I have even tried it from time to time.  I always felt a bit deprived, or weak.  Little did I know, those feelings were not from lack of animal protein.  Rather, they we the screams of toxins leaving my body.  I took what my brain was telling me as the truth.  I failed to listen to my body.  Mistakenly, just as I detoxified, I would throw in the towel.  Well, really Fear grabbed the towel and hurled it for me. 

Over the winter break, I saw two films that changed my outlook and sparked my interest again.  “Fat, Sick, and nearly Dead and “Forks over Knives”.  These movies had sat in our Netflix que for a while.  Along with “Waiting for Superman” and other films that I knew that I should watch but knew would shine the light on things that live in a fog, I had let it sit for a couple of months.  Having successfully abstained from (most) of the annual holiday gluttony, I was feeling strong and inspired.  I was also feeling a little smug.  As a long time vegetarian and relatively clean eater, I was hoping to sit down with my tea and give myself a pat on the back.  No such luck. 

These two films reminded me of the health benefits of not eating animals.  It also gave compelling reasons to give up all animal products and eat a plant-based diet.  It didn’t stop there.  I also gave up all caffeine and alcohol for a month.  I now drink caffeine once or twice a week and limit alcohol to special occasions (which may, or may not include the weekends (which may or may not include Thursdays)).   After 22 years of eating meat free, I am now reminded of why I don’t eat animals. 

Swimming through the toxic waters of caffeine, alcohol, dairy and eggs has had it’s ups and downs.  I couldn’t tell you much about the early days.  Mostly, because I was completely and utterly exhausted.  As I pushed through these lifestyle changes, I became tangled in many of my own demons.  On those chapters alone, I could fill a novel.  I have found that jumping in with enthusiasm is how I thrive in life.  I never like did like getting my toes wet first.  And, hey, if it was good for Albert Einstien, maybe it could be good for you too.

2 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to this. I'm starting to do less dairy as well. I think my system is not liking it again. I am doing cheese when I'm out sometimes, and I like egg whites occasionally, but i'm doing more and more dairy free at home. I too have had the fear of never eating cheese again, and I was also weird long before I decided to start slowing down on the dairy. :-) Are you eliminating honey and such as well? I don't think i'm going to try to eliminate caffeine and alcohol (on the toxin front, not the vegan portion of this) but I do need to cut down. Great for you on this! And we need to do a recipe swap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maya -I have been experimenting with a lot of recipes, so I'd love to swap. I am still using honey, but have cut out refined sugar and white flour (for the most part). I read that milk (so cheese) has the effects similar to opiates. So, it makes sense that in giving it up, or cutting back, our bodies get defensive. I can honestly say that I don't miss it now. But, I have actually found a non-dairy cheese that melts well and doesn't contain soy that I like quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete